AAPCSW promotes psychoanalytic education, advances clinical social work, facilitates the production and dissemination of knowledge, and advocates for high standards of practice.
- AAPCSW Response to The Executive Order Eliminating the DACA Program and Recent ICE Raids on Non-Criminal Undocumented Immigrants
- AAPCSW Response to the Unfolding Executive Order - Immigration & Travel Ban
Learn more about Diversity and Social Action Committee »
- Recognize the dignity and worth of each human being.
- Acknowledge the intersection of each individual’s inner and outer worlds.
- Convey a psychoanalytic sensibility in our work with all populations and in all settings.
- Integrate concerns for social justice with clinical practice.
- Promote inclusivity and affirm the diverse identities of our colleagues and of those with whom we work.
- Cultivate a community of professionals that advocates for open inquiry and respect for difference.
Aims and Purposes
- To represent and protect the standing and advancement of psychoanalytic social work practitioners and educators.
- To provide an organizational identity for social work professionals engaged in psychoanalytically informed practice.
- To promote and disseminate the understanding of psychoanalytic theory and knowledge within the social work profession and the public.
- To affect liaisons with other organizations and professions who share common objectives for social work and the advancement of psychoanalytic theory and practice.
- To advocate for the highest standards of practice and for quality mental health care for the public.
- To bridge social work and psychoanalytic discourses by integrating concerns for social justice with clinical practice, and to conceptualize psychoanalytic theory and practice within its broader social-political context.